My Crazy Broadcasting World

Yep, I'm a pretty busy girl.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Little me!

Believe it or not, I was a young one not too long ago. Flashback to approximately 20 years ago, when I was almost two...

Sometimes I wish I were still that little.

I was actually about three when my mom took me to my cousin's dance recital. I watched all of the dancers in awe, and by the end of the show I was dancing in the aisles. My mom knew then to enroll me in dance lessons. My goal in life was to become a professional dancer and dance in New York City.

When I was six years old, I decided to abandon my dream of becoming a professional ballerina (I did continue dancing through age 18, though) and be a meterologist. I would literally sit in front of my TV and watch the Weather Channel for hours straight. I was fascinated with precipitation and humidity and wind chill and everything that had to do with weather. I would tell my parents at the dinner table that there was a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms that day, that the temperature in Phoenix was 109 degrees, and that the pollen levels were higher than normal in the Northeast. I loved talking in front of people, too, so it was a perfect job for me.

We had to do speeches in the third grade about what we wanted to be when we grew up. My classmates did speeches about becoming actresses, doctors, and professional athletes. I stood up in front of the class and said "I want to be a meteorologist."

The blank looks of my classmates said it all. What the heck is a meteorologist?

I then explained everything about weather and the Weather Channel and everything that a "weather girl" did. That was my goal for several more years. Then, I discovered the world of broadcast journalism. By the time I entered junior high, Diane Sawyer's job was looking pretty good to me.

I job shadowed at WKST (yes, the place where I am currently employed) in 8th grade and I announced a couple of community announcements over the air. I then realized that broadcasting was what I wanted to do.

And now, here I am...still unsure where exactly I want to be. Crazy, huh?

It's hard to believe how much easier life was back in the good old days.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

The ballet thing rings a bell-- that's right...you're BC 251 project on the Nutcracker. It's like the Universe won't let you forget it.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home