My Crazy Broadcasting World

Yep, I'm a pretty busy girl.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Job Shadowing an Intern?!

We are allowed to blog about anything this week, and I do realize that I'm running a bit late. But I am kind of glad, because some interesting things happened at my internship yesterday.

First of all, it's really weird being on a first-name basis with the anchors. When we were in high school, we were always awestruck when we saw one at a Penguins game. I even made my debut on Pittsburgh Sports Tonight at the Pirates' 2003 home opener - Trenni, the lone female anchor, interviewed me. But, that's going off on a tangent.

Someone job shadowed me yesterday. He was a high school senior, and he came to shadow the marketing department. They sent him to me, and he followed me around all day and I had to show him the ropes. I felt kind of strange, to be honest. I mean, I do a lot of media relations stuff, but I also do some "intern-y" stuff like sending out UPS packages and making copies. I almost felt... important!

Basically, I showed the kid how to do the NQA press release, and we worked on that together. Then I showed him how to do the Trib ads, and he made some himself so that I don't have to do any on Friday. That was nice. The kid was asking me questions as if I were some kind of expert, so it was a pretty cool experience, to say the least.

I remember when I job shadowed for the first time. I went to WFMJ the summer between my junior and senior years of high school, and basically followed one of the anchors around all day and tore up her scripts and sat around while she ran around and got ready for the news. I can't believe someone actually job shadowed little old ME. Pretty crazy stuff right there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Catch up!!!
When do you need this digital audio recorder back?

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home