My Crazy Broadcasting World

Yep, I'm a pretty busy girl.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Blog Savvy!

In class on Thursday, we learned lots of cool things about putting blogs together. We can embed video, post links and pictures, and customize it to our liking. Fortunately, I grasped the part of pictures and links early on. I would like to customize my template a little more, but I don't really have the time/patience to do that. I'm cool with how it looks right now.

I can't really remember what we were supposed to blog about this week, so I'll cover a few areas, I guess. I'm actually sitting at work right now waiting for the Italian lady to come in so I can board op her show. That could lead into the topic of something I'm kind of nervous about - my senior project. I'm still not EXACTLY sure what I want to do, but I need to figure something out by Friday.

As the news director at Titan Radio and one of the two newsies at WKST, I think it would be best for me to center the project around radio news. I'm thinking about doing an analysis of my newscasts at both stations and exploring the similarities and differences. It could be anything from the types of stories I choose to my tone of voice to my method of newsgathering.

I definitely want to add something in there about moving from a "privileged" environment such as Titan Radio to the real world, which isn't always pretty! I could use pictures to convey that.

On the other hand, I would also love to do something that pertains to my internship and what I do there. I'm not sure how I would be able to connect it with a senior project. If anyone has any ideas, flag me!

The other big topic in Thursday's capstone class was our Alumni research project. As soon as Mr. Weaver brought this up, I knew exactly what I wanted to pursue. Todd Lepovsky is the director of Media Relations for the Pittsburgh Penguins, and he's a WC Alum. Considering that I'm really leaning toward a career in media relations/PR, and I want to work with Pittsburgh sports, he'd be the perfect person to interview. I would also love to get in touch with Burt Lauten, who holds the same position with the Steelers. The more contacts I make, the better!

Our director of media relations at FSN (and my supervisor) is also a WC grad. I think it's incredible that three people who graduated from my tiny college are doing what I dream of doing. I also have a friend from high school who is the media relations director for the Fresno Grizzlies (a minor league baseball team), so that's just one more connection I have in the business. We all know you can never have enough connections!

That'll do it for me this week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home