My Crazy Broadcasting World

Yep, I'm a pretty busy girl.

Monday, September 04, 2006

My goals!

First of all, my internship is going very well. I already have a ton of stuff for the portfolio I'm putting together! I'm having such a blast. I can't complain about mingling with Stan Savran, either. :)

Also, I've been Forever Broadcasting's board-op queen lately. I board-opped a Steeler game on Froggy 95 last Friday. Then I had to do the New Castle football game this Friday night, along with the MSA Sports Scoreboard Show. Saturday night, I had to do the Shenango game. Then, Sunday night, I had to board-op a Nascar race on WJST. Holy cow, five hours of that was pretty hard to get through. But, hey, you gotta start somewhere!

Onto the serious stuff...

This year is going to be a very important one in my life. Right now, I feel very unsure of myself and what I ultimately want to do with my life. I feel like there are a lot of paths I can take - the question is, which one should I choose?

Short-term goals:
-To network as much as possible during my internship. Who knows, maybe an opportunity could open up for me! I need to get to know as many people as I possibly can in the Pittsburgh sports industry, because that will only help me in the future. You definitely need to have connections in this business.

-To figure out what I REALLY want to do after I graduate. Do I want a job in radio news? One in media relations or PR? One in production? One in print journalism? Or do I want to choose grad school? I need to really think about what I want to be when I "grow up," because as of right now, I don't have a clue.

-To get organized and put together resume tapes for broadcast journalism, and portfolios for print journalism. Then, send them out to everyone!

Long-term goals:
-Travel! Before I settle down, I want to see the world. :)

-Grad school, possibly. I'm leaning toward a degree in marketing, business, or public relations.

-And ultimately, to get a job in Pittsburgh, preferably with a sports team, sports radio or television, or sports section of a newspaper. When I got my internship, I ultimately realized that I want to work with sports. I don't want to be a sports anchor, which is why I haven't gravitated toward that in college. But Pittsburgh sports have been my passion since I was very young. To work with them would be an absolute dream come true for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz Farry said...

Hey Leanne! Just wanted to tell you that the newscasts are sounding good, way to be on top of it all! Keep it up!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

You really are my hero this semester. You are doing so much with your internship, classes, the Holcad, and news director responsibilities...and you're doing an awesome job with everything. It's people like you that make people like me look like huge slackers :) I think it's sweet that you are at FSN...I've always pictured you doing something with sports because you are so passionate about it and you're such a hard worker. I rely on you and Pem for my "vast" sports knowledge so keep up the good work!

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home